Our TasteBudds line of Fractionated Coconut oil (MCT oil) Based Flavors are highly concentrated materials that are meant to go into active solutions at a rate of roughly 1%-3%. In general, flavors built with MCT oil will need to be used at a higher add back rate because they are less impacting compared to PG-based flavors. These flavors are designed to work with a variety of oil applications. All of our flavors have been designed by credentialed flavor chemists
TasteBudds flavors contain as much as 20% active flavoring; whereas, most traditional, food grade, flavor products contain 3% or less active flavoring. If you use a traditional flavor with a 3% active flavoring, you will need to add back 7x as much flavor by volume to impart the same profile as TasteBudds. Using that much flavor creates a runny final product that potentially requires a thickening agent to fix. Any perceived cost savings is eliminated due to the amount of flavoring and thickening agents needed. TasteBudds allows you to use significantly less flavoring — no thickening agent required.
Our MCT Based Flavors are great products for those who want to carry an all-natural label. Additionally, MCT offers nutraceutical and medicinal benefits – something no other carrier has. MCT is not associated with any negative health risks. For those who want to use a lot of diluting agent in your formula, our MCT Based Flavors are the perfect solution.
Extract Consultants does not sell any products with THC and/or CBD. Special care should be taken to ensure safety at all times. Please wear gloves and eye protection and have proper ventilation. Our products are extremely potent and concentrated. For more safety Information, please review each materials SDS (safety data sheet.)
Certificates of Analysis are listed by the last 4 digits of the lot number.
Product data sheets can be found here.
Our line of Taste Budds flavors are specifically designed to work directly with oil based products, and can be used in tinctures, candies, and other applications. Generally speaking, candies and tinctures require the least amount of usage, and other products may require a higher usage rate comparatively.
Each flavor has an average add back range of .5% - 3%. This can vary quite a bit based on preference, and the final product that it is going into, so in general you will want to start low (.5%) and work your way up. You can always add more!
1. Prepare your material and Calculate add back rate.
- Warm up your oil as you normally would.
- Calculate how much of our TasteBudds Flavor you will need to use by weight. Always measure by weight, and never by the drop.
- We will use an example of a 50g batch, and an add back rate of 3%. Using a calculator, input 50 X 0.03 (3%.) You should get an answer of 1.5g.
2. Weigh your flavor and set aside in preparation for mixing.
- Next, take a Pyrex beaker and a scale that is accurate to at least 0.00 decimal places.
- Place beaker on the scale and using the same example of 3% usage in a 50g batch, carefully weigh out 1.5g of TasteBudds Flavor, using a disposable plastic pipette.
- Set aside in preparation for mixing.
3. Remove your oil from heat and allow it to cool.
- Let your material cool down enough so that you can still manipulate it.
4. Add and mix.
- Once your material is cool, it is time to add in the 1.5g of flavor.
- Pour them into the oil and using either a Magnetic Stir bar or a hand tool, mix the solution for up to 20min.
5. Wait, and taste.
- Many people make the mistake of tasting the product right after mixing. It is always better to let the solution sit for 24 hours.
- Once it has steeped for a day, and it has passed your visual test, you may apply it to whichever end product the material is going into and give it an official taste test.
6. Record your formula, and move to production
- Once you are satisfied with your end product, it is ready to go into production.
- If this is the first time you have developed this product, be sure to document your add in rate for each flavor for future use.
Note: Always store your finished product between 60° and 75°. This will help prevent separation, crystallization, and oxidation.
|We have included an abbreviated PDF version of these instructions for your convenience. Also included in this download is a worksheet to keep track of the add back rate you use for each of your products!|
Natural Cherry Flavor - MCT